Annie’s Saga Continues

Tell Your Friends

We got home this morning around 6 a.m.

Firstly, thank you to those who have reached out with support.  Here’s what we’ve been up to since my last post.

Gabe and I went to visit Annie last night and see if she’d take some food for us.  We were hoping she’d be better enough to come home.  Short of that, we were hoping that she’d been good enough to come home overnight and we’d take her to her more local hospital in the morning.  Not the case.

The doctor said that her lab values were a little better, but if it was the IV hydration that was causing the improvement, she didn’t dare stop for 14-16 hours.  She was afraid it would take all that time and more just to get back to where we were last night.  I’m not sure I bought it 100%, but better to trust in the vet than my own understanding.  She spent another night in the ER.

I set my alarm for 3:40 this morning, and drove to Brewer to parole my red-headed stepchild.  She was happy to see me, but still not her perky self.  She gained 6 pounds since admission Saturday afternoon, which I suppose is a testament as to how dry she was.

I was given a care package of two bags of IV fluids, some liver-support pills, and a transfer sheet to give to our receiving hospital in Chester once they open and Beth drives her down today.

It was a quiet ride home in the dark.  She never made a sound.  She just pathetically lay there in the back seat, head between her paws.  Back in our own driveway, I opened the door to the car for her to jump out, but she just sat there, looking at me with those pathetic eyes.  I had to coax her out.  Perhaps she’s not yet forgiven me for leaving her behind after our last car ride.

Justice seemed pretty pleased to see her, ceremoniously sniffing her butt.  I’ve got their breakfast feeding outside in their bowls, trying to follow their regular routine.  He’s eating as I type.  Her, not so much.

The doctor wasn’t able to give me much information this morning.  They still don’t know WHY her liver is so inflamed.  She said even a needle aspiration wouldn’t be of much help in cases like this, the histological sample would likely be tainted.  All we can do at this point is carry on.  Since, and this is a quote, “every case is unique”, she wasn’t able to give me much in the way of a prognosis (since they don’t know what’s going on), or time frame for possible improvement.  Great.

In other news, Liv’s been feeling pretty crappy since Saturday night, complete with fever and vomiting, so Beth’s off today to take care of both of our sick ones.

Annie Golden Retriever and Gabe at Vet Office

Gabe and Annie at the vet’s office last night



Permanent link to this article:

1 comment

    • Theresa “Newfie” on November 27, 2017 at 9:38 am
    • Reply

    Ryan I’m just seeing this ( I’ve worked all weekend) my heart goes out to all of you. I know what’s it’s like when your 4 legged kid gets sick but they just can’t tell you. Keep the faith and just keep given her lots of hugs!! Please let us know in your posts how she and all of you are doing. 💚🐾

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

CommentLuv badge

%d bloggers like this: