We’ve been together too long for me to blow smoke up your skirt and tell you that everything about autism is sunshine and rainbows. It’s not.
Look around in the media; not a lot of up-side.
What I’m thinking is that you, faithful reader, may not fully appreciate the hidden up-side of the disorder.
Here are just a few of the perks I’ve gleaned from having a son with autism for the past eleven years.
1. I’ve seen Thomas the Tank Engine way more times than you.
2. I speak acronym: IEP, ABA, OT, SLP, ASM, GF/CF, ASD, PDD-NOS, IDEA.
3. My eleven year old still climbs into bed with me and the Mrs. in the morning.
4. I got special treatment for the whole family at Disney 3 years ago.
5. I got to be on TV.
6. I’ve been paid to give my opinion at conventions.
7. I have an assortment of swings I can hang from the chain in the center of my living room.
8. I’ve got a no-fail excuse to leave any place early, or arrive late. “You know, … Jake stuff.”
9. I’ve gotten to meet lots of interesting doctors, therapists, specialists, and what-not.
10. I’ve met an amazing array of incredible parents.
11. My service dog is way cooler than your cocka-doodle-poodle-terrier.
12. I can change a diaper on an 8 year old in seconds flat.
Permanent link to this article: http://www.bigcalfguy.com/autism-perks/